Friday, August 1, 2008 Posted by Aromalite  

Today is my 5th wedding anniversary to wonderful, wonderful Jim :) Our first date was in May of 1997 - I was 19 and he was 25. Then, just 6 short years later we got married and have been enjoying wedded bliss ever since.

We chose to get married on August 1st for a very special reason. About a month after we were dating, I was hanging out with Jim at his parent's apartment and noticed a throw draped over one of the chairs that read "Happy 25th anniversary Gail and Herb. August 1, 1970". I did a double-take and read it again. I looked at Jim's mom and asked "You got married on August 1, 1970?" She looked at me and said "Yeahhhh....why?"

I laughed and told her that MY parents got married on August 1, 1970 too. Come to find out not only did they get married on the same day, they honeymooned about half an hour away from each other, and both couples had a first-born child (a son) born 2 years later, about 3 weeks apart.

After dating and PATIENTLY waiting for 5 years, Jim proposed to me on August 30, 2002. We planned on a year-long engagement to be able to save the money we would need for our wedding. Flipping through the calendar, I realized that August 1, 2003 was on a Friday. Unfortunately, it was a leap year, so we would have had to wait 7 more years for it to be on a Saturday. We quickly decided that a Friday evening wedding would be just fine and we couldn't wait to tell our parents, suck-ups that we are. They were tickled pink and the plans went underway.

No wedding ever comes off without a hitch or problems along the way, but I don't even remember what most of our crises were. In the end, I showed up, the guests showed up, and most importantly, Jim showed up.

So, as Jim and I celebrate our 5th anniversary, our parents are celebrating their 38th anniversaries as well, for a combined 81 years of marriage. Although, I must say, my dad insists that he and my mom have been married the longest because they got married at 10:00 and Jim's parents didn't get married until 1:00...

It poured rain on our wedding day, but the infamous "They" say that rain on your wedding day is good luck. It must be true, because I still feel like the luckiest bride that ever walked down the aisle.

Happy Anniversary Jim, Mom and Dad Lynch, and Mom and Dad Kaufmann...may the road always rise to meet you, and the wind always be at your back!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Happy Anniversary, Bean!

143 x 5,

Jim

Aromalite said...

LOL Jim....1432 x 5

 
Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz